The African Development Bank (AfDB) and Nairobi Innovation Week are partnering to organize the High 5s Startup Challenge 2018 focused on accelerating Africa’s economic transformation.
AfDB provides financing to African Governments and private players to undertake projects that contribute to social and economic development of the continent.
Nairobi Innovation Week (NIW) has been described as being about, “bringing together the partners and members of the innovation ecosystem withing the country (Kenya); and those who are interested in supporting us.”
The High 5s Startup Challenge 2018 literally focuses on 5 areas related to broad economic development. They are simplified as:
- Light up and Power Africa
- Feed Africa
- Industrialize Africa
- Integrate Africa
- Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa
The best 50 applicants of this challenge will enjoy recognition by being featured in the AfDB-NIW Special Edition Innovation Journal and have profiles displayed on the NIW.Startups, where promising startups are recognized.
The top 5 of the AfDB-NIW High 5s Challenge 2018 will get a little bit more. Those from outside Kenya will have their travel costs to Nairobi Innovation Week 2018 covered. There will be opportunity to exhibit at the same event, for all and a chance to meet and interact with top AfDB officals.
The top 5 will also receive sh.100,000 ($1,000) as a reward to support their innovation.
- Be over 18 years old
- Have an innovation addressing one of the aforementioned High 5s Startup Challenge focus areas
- Be from: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi or Ethiopia
- Have a product or service already in use
- Have a clear business and operational model
- Have an existing startup team
- Be able to demonstrate impact and sustainability
- Illustrate how innovation addresses gender equality
Complete and submit you complete application to the High 5s Startup Challenge 2018 by checking out the official website. Deadline for application is 28th February.0