Content creators in Africa, with great ideas, are invited to apply for grant funding and residency in France by Digital Lab Africa 2018 edition.
Digital Lab Africa 2018 is eyeing projects, at the initial stage, in need of financial support and partnership. The projects can be by anyone in sub-Saharan Africa in the media and creative industries – artists, producers, entrepreneurs, students, etc.
There are 5 categories to apply for, in which 2 winners will be picked per category. The winners will receive over sh.300,000 (R42,000) in grant money and mentorship by French and African experts. Mentorship will involve a funded residency program within a creative cluster, in either France or Africa.
- Web Creation – combining media to offer storytelling or experience intended to retain audience; examples include podcasts and web series
- Virtual Reality – immersive experience on any type of device using tech such as virtual reality, augmented series and 3D interactions
- Video Game – prototypes or concept of video game for any type of device; mobile, console, computer
- Digital Music – innovative online music user experience; examples include live concerts on mobile and artist booking service
- Animation – techniques such as 2D, 3D and modelling clay intended for cinema, TV, etc.
Before the 10 winners are selected by a Digital Lab Africa committee, 30 projects will be picked for the final pitch competition. The 30 will produce video pitches for audience to vote online. They will also have the opportunity of individual interviews.
Deadline to apply is 13th January, 2019. Application for Digital Lab Africa 2018 will involve filling an online form and sending relevant application files. The files are a pitch deck (PDF, PowerPoint or Word format), visual element, one-page max cover letter, CV and photo. Details about these are outlined further on the official webpage.0